Menthae piperitae aetheroleum, peppermint oil.
Peppermint oil consists of the essential oil of Mentha piperita L. [Fam. Lamiaceae], obtained by steam distillation from freshly harvested, flowering sprigs, and its preparations in effective dosage.
Peppermint oil contains a minimum of 4.5 percent and a maximum of 10 percent (w/w) esters, calculated as menthyl acetate, at least 44 percent (w/w) free alcohols, calculated as menthol and a minimum of 15 percent and maximum of 32 percent (w/w) ketones, calculated as menthone.
Unless otherwise prescribed:
- Average daily dosage:6 - 12 drops.
- For inhalation:3 - 4 drops in hot water.
- For irritable colon:Average single dose 0.2 ml;Average daily dose 0.6 ml in enterically coated form.
- Some drops rubbed in the affected skin areas.
- In semi-solid and oily preparations 5 - 20 percent;
- In aqueous-ethanol preparations 5 - 10 percent;
- In nasal ointments 1 - 5 percent essential oil.
Essential oil and galenical preparations for internal and external application.