Gilbert E. D’Alonzo, Jr., DO, editor-in-chief of The Journal of the American Osteopathic Association, wrote, "This textbook is particularly useful because of the strongly focused section on interpreting the product labels of herbal medicines… [Being] familiar with many herbal medications…I was impressed that the book included sections on each medication. Many of the sections exceeded my expectations in terms of information value."2
Jean Carper in USA Weekend wrote, "Although intended as a reference book for doctors and other health professionals, it’s rich in facts for consumers, too."3And in an online review Joe Pizzorno, Jr., ND, senior editor of Integrative Medicine: A Clinician’s Journal and co-founder of Bastyr University, stated, "It is an authoritative resource for both healthcare professionals and individuals wanting to utilize botanical medicines as part of their self care. I find especially of value their review of clinical studies."4
Three universities have selected The ABC Clinical Guide to Herbs as a textbook. The University of Arizona adopted The Guide for Andrew Weil’s innovative Program in Integrative Medicine while the University of Illinois at Chicago will be using it in its College of Pharmacy.
Mylan School of Pharmacy at Duquesne University also uses The Guide as a textbook. Professor Norbert A. Pilewski, RPh, PhD, states in an online review of The Guide, "This book is thorough and yet concise. [It] should be on every pharmacy reference shelf whether it is in the corner drugstore or the hospital pharmacy. I have recommended it to my students and I am currently using it in my courses."5
The ABC Clinical Guide to Herbs retails for $69.95 (ABC members receive a 10% discount) and may be purchased online <www.herbalgram.org>, with the order form in this issue of HerbalGram, or by calling 800/373-7105.
1. Bauer BA. The ABC Clinical Guide to Herbs. Ann Intern Med 2003;139(6):534
2. D’Alonzo GE. The ABC Clinical Guide to Herbs. JAOA 2003;103(10):460.
3. Carper J. Top 5 herbals: How they really stack up. USA Weekend 2003 Jun 8; Eat Smart.
4. Pizzorno J. Amazon.com. The ABC Clinical Guide to Herbs Customer Review. Available online: <www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1588901572/ref=cm_cr_dp_2_1/002-1246200-2692853?v=glance &s=books&n=507846&vi=customer-reviews>. Accessed January 7, 2004.
5. Pilewski NA. Amazon.com. The ABC Clinical Guide to Herbs Customer Review. Available online: <www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1588901572/ref=cm_cr_dp_2_1/002-1246200-2692853?v=glance &s=books&n=507846&vi=customer-reviews>. Accessed January 7, 2004.